The Best Essential Oils For Varicose Veins
Are you struggling to get rid of unsightly varicose veins in a natural way? Essential oils may be just the ticket.
These oils have been utilized in holistic remedies for hundreds of years in eastern medicine, and now they’re making a big splash in other parts of the world for their numerous healing qualities. While essential oils may not completely cure the disorders they’re used to treat, they have been shown in many circumstances to greatly reduce symptoms and alleviate complications related to them.
In this post, we’ll discuss the best oils to help with one problem in particular, varicose veins.
What Are Varicose Veins?
Varicose veins are enlarged veins (usually in the lower extremities) resulting from blood pooling and a lack of proper circulation back to the heart. They’re most often caused by aging, regularly sitting or standing too long, pregnancy, obesity, and simple genetics. While some people have no symptoms associated with the enlarged veins aside from their unfavorable appearance (large, twisted and blueish/purple in color), others experience discomfort in the form of aches and swelling.
The only medical treatments for varicose veins are surgery, injections, or laser treatments, which can all be both costly and painful.
Treatment For Varicose Veins
If you’re not up for the price tag and recovery time of some of these professional treatments, looking to essential oils for a reprieve could prove fruitful. Certain oils have been shown to help with the symptoms of varicose veins, like pain and swelling, which in turn may reduce their appearance.
Before attempting to treat this condition on your own, be sure to speak with your doctor or healthcare provider about the best option for you. Essential oils can sometimes be irritating and can make the skin more sensitive to certain other topicals and sunlight.
Here are the top 5 best oils for varicose veins:
- Lavender. Lavender, when massaged into the skin or inhaled, has been shown to reduce swelling and relieve pain.
- Rosemary. Some research suggests rosemary is effective in improving circulation and can help to alleviate pain.
- Yarrow has been used as a remedy for swelling caused by varicose veins.
- Sea Pine to help edema in the legs.
- Grapefruit for improved circulation.
While these oils won’t cure you of your varicose veins entirely, they may absolutely be helpful in size reduction and symptom relief for many sufferers.
Ways to Use Essential Oils For Varicose Veins
- Massage the affected area with your chosen oil. Remember to always dilute pure essential oils with a carrier oil.
- Add a few drops to a hot or cold compress and keep held against the affected area for 15-20 minutes. Remember to elevate your legs.
- Add the diluted oil/carrier mixture to a warm bath and soak.
- For pain relief, inhale lavender or rosemary essential oils using a diffuser or inhaler.
How To Safely Apply Essential Oils To Skin
Essential oils are incredibly potent, often volatile compounds that can irritate the skin and even cause burns if applied directly. You should always dilute any pure essential oil in a carrier oil like coconut or jojoba before using it on your skin. Read more about how to dilute essential oils for skin application.
Living with varicose veins can be uncomfortable and embarrassing, but essential oils can help treat the worst symptoms. If your struggle with varicose veins continues, talk to your doctor to get the right treatment for you.